noscriptFoam Fillers, Putties and Adhesives | Cromwell UK

Adhesive Fillers & Putties

Commonly used to fill gaps and cracks around the house, adhesive foam fillers and putties are an invaluable substance that makes easy work of patching up unsightly cracks in masonry, wood and other materials. Here at Cromwell, we have a wide range of adhesive fillers and putties from leading brands such as Everbuild, Polycell and Bostik.

What are adhesive fillers and putties?

Adhesive fillers and putties are designed for inserting into cracks and crevices to leave a crack free finish. They can be used for sealing cracks or for preventing leaks depending on the type of filler or putty you select. They are soft in their raw form and work by hardening when in contact with oxygen in the air to create a hard and resilient end product. Once the filler or putty is completely dry - dry times are usually specified on the product packaging - it can then be sanded down to ensure a smooth and seamless finish before being painted over. Some fillers, such as expanding foam, will need to be cut or shaved down once dried and some putties are suited for multiple uses.

When are adhesive fillers and putties used?

Fillers and putties are widely used in the construction, window fitting and decorating trades, but more specialised putties such as plumbers putty can be used in plumbing applications such as creating a seal around a leaking pipe. Whether it be filling in a crack, creating a waterproof seal around a leaking pipe or stopping a draught coming through a gap near a window, we stock the right adhesive filler or putty for your needs.

Considerations when choosing an adhesive filler and putty

Type - There are various types of filler and putty that are designed for different materials as well as different applications. For example, plumbers' putty is waterproof and designed to create a temporary seal around pipes and can be used multiple times, whereas other kinds of multi-purpose filler are suited for one time use in cracks, as they harden when in contact with oxygen in the air. It's worth considering which type of putty or filler is best for your needs to ensure a professional and long lasting result.

Application - As described above, your desired application will largely determine which type of adhesive filler or putty works best for you. If you're working with wood for example, then specific wood filler is best, whereas if you're working with masonry or plasterboard, then a multi-purpose filler or putty would be better suited.

Adhesive fillers and putties jargon buster

We want to make it easy for you to shop our range of adhesive fillers and putties, so here are some key terms that will help you understand the range and applications a little better.

Is caulk the same as filler?

Whilst the two are often used in similar applications, decorators caulk is designed primarily for use when finishing and sealing corners and edges, whilst adhesive fillers and putties are better suited for filling cracks and gaps on flat surfaces. Caulk is a flexible acrylic filler and shrinks over time, making it unsuited for some applications that adhesive fillers and putties would be better used for, for example, filling in holes where nails or screws have been.


Will adhesive fillers stick to silicone?

Generally speaking, only a silicone based adhesive will adhere to silicone substrates. There are some exceptions to this, with some specialised adhesive fillers or putties able to adhere to silicone. It's best to check whether your intended putty or filler has this ability before purchasing.

Can adhesive filler be used as caulk?

Caulk is primarily used for filling corners and gaps, sealing in window frames or other fixtures such as mantles, baseboards, door or window frames and similar trims. Whilst caulk would probably work as a filler, this is not its primary function. It's best to purchase a filler as opposed to caulk to ensure you get the best results.